Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Museum, New Artist, New Place To Go?

So yea...Went to New York to go visit the New Museum. Went with the crew of Luis, Rudy, and Kelli. Weather was pretty crappy on the Friday we went, so as we traveled it just seemed like it took a long time to get there. Kind of laughed when I saw on the outside of the place had a decent sized, rainbow hell yeah. So after putting our stuff away and getting our tickets to the exhibition, we took this big green lime elevator to each of the artist exhibits.

One of the artists' works that was displayed at the New Museum was David Goldblatt. David Goldblatt is a photographer. His photos that were on display were taken in South Africa and they mainly dealt with the apartheid that was and is happening there, and how it looked like the politicians were trying to do something about it, but not caring enough from the few photos of them that I saw. David Goldblatt had an array of black and white and color photos on display. Some were triptychs and others were stand alone photographs. The black and white photos showed the struggle and ugliness of the apartheid in South Africa. While the color ones were trying to show the hopeful progress, but not the complete step forward towards that goal of getting past the apartheid. In his triptych works, each photo was of the same place but in a different angle or time of the place. That showed how progress was being made, how it was at the time, and how it hoped to be. It was neat to see how he was showing past, present, and future in his work. By my personal preference I felt David Goldblatt was the strongest artist to me when I visited the New Museum. His photographs had great emotion, conveyed very strong narratives, the composition of each was strong too.

After the visit, I left a little disappointed not because of the art that was displayed by the artists at the New Museum, but because of the lack of variety in the amount of artists that were shown. Wish there was more. Overall the visit was a great experience and I learned some things from the artists' work that I saw.


radheader

No comments:

Post a Comment