Friday, October 30, 2009

Zim Zim Zimmerli Art Museum Holla

Aight so this time we could choose a gallery of our choice. I'm not going to lie, I was like let me hit up the Zimmerli, because 1)haven't been paid yet 2)it be free 3)its close by, so no NJTransit 4)only a few minutes away from home. Sooooo....yeah how could I refuse. So Schwig hit me up with a text to go with him, Costa and Matt on Friday around 11:30am. At first I was going in blind and expecting to see stuff that I wouldn't really enjoy looking at. But I did managed to find somethings that I liked.
At all the things that I looked at, the Serbian/Russian ukiyo and japanese ukiyo woodcuts hit the spot. Ukiyo paintings were started around the 1880's and continued onward til around the 1960's. They are still made today, just don't recieve as much recognition as they did during that time period. The one thing I really like about ukiyo paintings is the style of how the artists use the ink and paint to create a really effective narrative. The application of the water color paint is very similar to how I make all of the paints I use in my works very similar. Use of color and how its applied can help create a narrative of whatever story the artist is trying to portray. Also the use of line is very subtle and bold at points which give the figures and objects in the paintings a unique appeal or feature about them, that gives a lot depth within the narrative. One thing I hope to accomplish along the way is to create great compositional pieces within the graphic novels and artworks I'm making. In addition, to create great narratives that use color and line so effectively as ukiyo paintings do. Pics will be up when I get a chance to find the photos ^___^

No comments:

Post a Comment