A brief overview of this chapter is that Thorton is visiting an art fair, and from my understanding it's a world of a difference compared to an exhibition. After reading the chapter it makes me wanting to go to one, since I've never been, and I would like to experience the atmosphere. To me I feel like I would enjoy it more because the atmosphere to me seems like it's more exciting than people just stopping at every piece and saying a lil' piece and then moving on to the next one like an assembly line.
"An Artist doesn't become an artist in a day, so a collector shouldn't become a collector in a day. It's a LIFETIME process" (pg83 Thorton). I don't really know the lifestyle of a collector, but I do agree with the quote by her. It takes time and dedication to be great in anything, especially art, and for some one to say that they are better because they have more art or spend more on a piece, shows arrogance and a lack of appreciation for the piece and the artist. Yes, I would be grateful for the person buying, but afterward if they were only bragging about how much they spent, than appreciating the work...then honestly I would hand to someone else for less money. That's just how I am and how I was raised, to be respectful.
"With young artists, you find the greatest purity...which is pretty intense." (pg.84 Thorton). Some nice words once again from Thorton. It's so true for someone that just got in the business, is always going to have a child like mind and be pushing what they push, until they get kicked down or put on the pedestal. Then their work goes from what they wanted to do, to now what the people want. I hope the work I create in the future is appreciated for what it is, and I'll try to take what people say and use it if I deem it a good idea, but make sure it has the flair of MY ART.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment