Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Seven Days in the Art World ~Magazine~

I had trouble really connecting to this chapter like the others in Thorton's book. The most likely reason why is because it had to deal with writers of the art world and the things they publish, and I've never touched a legitimate art magazine. But there was one quote from Adrian Searle, on page 150, that caught my eye.

"No conflict, no interest."
~ Adrian Searle

I find this quote to be very interesting because of his vagueness in his statement. Our society is so driven on media, and the media pushes controversial or other things that aren't so happy go lucky first to get ratings and the attention of the people. So it seems that if the art doesn't have a conflicting position on life, then it's just another piece of art. But I feel like the deeper meaning is the piece of art has to have depth for it to achieve that wow factor and the praise of wow thats really good and appreciate this and that. For me the conflict, really means the piece has to have depth, a purpose and feeling to it to be a real successful piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment